Monday, March 9, 2009

The truth

Just wanted to drop in unannounced on the schedule here to tell a few truths about this blog and my reading so far. I've dropped off a bit and am now blogging about a week after than I've finished each book. Work, home, hobbies, habits...

So I'm still doing the reading and loving all the books so far, just not following strict deadlines, keeping it loose. My main crisis with this has been which book to read next - I have a pile of about 25 here, bought, borrowed, loaned and owned - whether to have an established order, or a top 20 to read by the end of the year. I definitely have some favourites that I'm really looking forward to but it would be laborious to mention and explain them all, maybe I'll just do a plain list. I'm taking it fairly "organically" at the moment, picking up the next one that grabs my attention, or seems to beg to be read next, like the chosen card in a magician's deck.

I do have some hope for a semi-method I have been attempting. So far I've read two fiction, then two non-fiction, now my next fiction - I think this sort of thing will keep me alert. Too much fiction can turn your brain to jelly, and a surfeit of non-fiction? Well, my mind liquifies to a different sort of jelly - more of the consistency of brain matter, or the endless unfolding of synapses tryin g toc onne ct. So, a healthy diet of non-fic leavened with plenty of fic, methinks.

I'm also almost ready to promote this blog to the world, or my little cosmos at least, just a few more books and lots more confidence. Enjoying writing this a lot, so far.