Monday, March 23, 2009

Will ye be needin' a list there, sir?

Having just finished the fabulous The Slap - watch for the review soon - and not having chosen a successor, I thought it not a bad time to create a working list of books to choose from when next I'm in post-book limbo.

Care to suggest some more? I'm currently reading one book in a week or six days, so I could need 50 for the year. I've already had some suggestions that I'll list below but any more would be grand.

Kindly loaned from Lee for this project :

Sam de Brito/The Lost Boys
Alex Miller/Prochownik's Dream
Bob Ellis/Night Thoughts In Time Of War
Sarah Armstrong/Salt Rain
Anna Maria Dell'oso/Songs of the Suitcase
The Penguin Best Australian Short Stories


Recommended by Kimberley:

Max Barry/Syrup (K. claims this is the only Australian novel she likes)

Recent prize shortlisters and winners:

Steve Toltz/A Fraction of the Whole
DBC Pierre/Vernon God Little
(really an Australian writer?)
Steven Carroll/The Time We Have Taken
Michelle de Krester/The Lost Dog
Debra Adelaide/The Household Guide to Dying
Shirley Hazzard/The Great Fire
Don Watson/American Journeys
Tim Winton/Breath
David Malouf/Every Move You Make
Christos Tsiolkas/Dead Europe
Louis Nowra/Ice
Alexis Wright/Carpentaria
David Foster/The Glade Within the Grove
Andrew McGahan/The White Earth
Christopher Koch/The Memory Room
Nam Le/The Boat
J.M. Coetzee/Diary of a Bad Year
Peter Carey/Theft: A Love Story
Malcolm Knox/Jamaica
Germaine Greer/Shakespeare's Wife
Philip Jones/Ochre and Rust
Gregory David Roberts/Shantaram
Philip Dwyer/Napoleon, The Path to Power


More to come...

Genre list collated from my old job at the bookstore:

Popular Science -
Tuniz et. al./The Bone Readers

History -
Eric Richards/Destination Australia
John Birmingham/Leviathan
Thomas Keneally/Commonwealth of Thieves
Gideon Haigh/Asbestos House

Politics & Current Events -
Tony Taylor/Denial
Tsiolkas, Haigh, Wright/Tolerance, Prejudice and Fear
Lisa Pryor/The Pin Striped Prison

Military -
Ernest Brough/Dangerous Days
EPF Lynch/Somme Mud
Peter Brunne/A Bastard of a Place
Michael Caulfield/War Behind the Wire
Graham Frudenberg/Churchill and Australia

Reference -
Don Watson/Weasel Words and Death Sentence

Travel Narrative -
Mark Dapin/Strange Country
Penelope Green/See Naples and Die
Tim Flannery/Throwim Way Leg

Biography -
Robert Dessaix/Arabesques
Hugh Lunn/Spies Like Us
Andrew Reimer/A Family History of Smoking

True Crime -
Lisa Clifford/Death in the Mountains
Chloe Hooper/The Tall Man


And now for some genres I never read, just to mix it up a bit. Wouldn't want to disappear up my own navel, now would I?! And they are all still Australian, Kev bless 'em:

Romance -
Bronwyn Parry/As Darkness Falls

Motivation -
A & B Pearse/Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps

Finance -
Bruce Brammall/Debt Man Walking

Crime -
Kerry Greenwood
Gabrielle Lord
Robert G. Barrett
Shane Maloney

Pulp Fiction(not really a genre but identifiable by author names in gold lettering) -
Judy Nunn
Matthew Reilly
Di Morrisey
Bryce Courtenay
Sydney Bauer
Monica McInerney
Rachael Treasure

Science Fiction -
Kim Westwood/Daughters of Moab
Sara Douglass

Children's -
Marcus Zuzak/The Messenger
Philip Gwynne/Deadly Unna
Melina Marchetta/Finnikin Rock
Sonya Hartnett/Sleeping Dogs
John Marsden/Tomorrow series
James Moloney
Maureen McCarthy/Somebody's Crying


Thanks to Kate, Mallory and the delectable Rachael for the last group, not all of which are children's, of course.

To Claire, who recommended Patrick White's Voss, love to, and thank you, but sorry, can't hack it, not even for this worthy project.

To Michael, who was very helpful, thank you, I am now a lifetime fan of Christos Tsiolkas and will definitely read all the available books - just hope I can find a copy of The Jesus Man!

I count well over 60 books above so making this list was really worthwhile. I also have another working list of all the Australian writers I can find the names of, still adding to this every couple of days. There are many hundreds! But if you know of a book that I really should add just message me here and I'll try to get to it. There are no strict criteria, except the obvious one, however I am finding that recently published works are easier to locate and possibly more to my taste; although Kate G. just loaned me My Brilliant Career and I know I really should read that!