Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's all over

February 14th 2010 and it's all done! There can be no suitable comment on the eight months of neglect this blog has suffered; and it started so well! I thank those of you who have read it: I think I was a bit miffed at the time that not more people responded to my big launch, but I forgot the few who did, and now, I thank you!!

My approach next will be to fill in the many books I have read retrospectively - I do intend to finish this project and I have been reading exclusively Australian all this time. It's been tumultuous at times, I have almost faltered out of necessity once or twice, but on the whole I've loved exploring many more Australian writers than I would have, and read some great books along the way. From tomorrow, my year is over, so questions arise...

I am actually tempted to keep it up, I'll explore why that's not an option in a later post. I'm also very interested in doing this year thing again with another guiding principle: Irish writers intrigues me, also debut novels, or perhaps another region of the globe, or a narrative style, or books from a particular decade. What does entice me is that I now know the ease of having a principle - so quick when buzzing through a library, such a justifiable excuse when not really wanting to try some new author or personal favourite foisted by a friend. For tomorrow, when I will be taking the bus, what do I read? I do have my trusty Monthly (thanks for the Xmas gift, Mum) so I won't need to read the bus ads.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to filling in the gaps; for the few who read this, and for my own sense of finality about the project. It's the end, it's been great, but ready to move along!!!